PubMatic’s Q1 2017 Quarterly Mobile Index (QMI) reveals over 50% eCPM increases YOY for both mobile header bidding and mobile PMPs
PubMatic, the automation solutions company for an open digital media industry, today announced the findings of its Q1 2017 Quarterly Mobile Index (QMI) report, which found that increased global adoption of header bidding and private marketplaces (PMPs) drove significant monetization opportunities for mobile publishers. The report also provides insights for publishers and media buyers around mobile video and app inventory.
PubMatic’s most recent QMI analysis for Q1 2017 found that mobile monetized impression volume from header bidding rose 12x YOY, faster than the growth rate for desktop header bidding impressions and that nearly 25% of total monetized header bidding impressions originated from a mobile device, up from 7% a year prior.
Further, mobile header bidding eCPMs increased 55% year-over-year. As technology providers like PubMatic continue to innovate around header bidding, with in-app, server-side and video solutions being introduced to the market, publishers and buyers alike will reap substantial benefits.
The new wave of brand buyers is demanding quality inventory and brand safety, as evidenced by the rise in programmatic direct. Buyers and sellers of digital media need to be sure to work with partners, like PubMatic, who are committed to transparency and maintain the highest quality standards in order to take full advantage of the inherent opportunities in mobile.
Findings from the Q1 2017 report show that mobile PMPs are experiencing a long-term upswing in popularity, with impression volume growing more than 68 percent year-over-year. As demand for high-quality inventory via guaranteed channels such as PMPs rises, market economies continued to drive eCPMs up 58 percent year-over-year globally in Q1 2017, providing a premium of nearly three times the mobile average.
Q1 2017 Quarterly Mobile index Highlights
Processing nearly one trillion ad impressions per month, PubMatic has created a global infrastructure to activate meaningful connections between consumers, content, and brands. Since 2006, PubMatic’s focus on data and technology innovation has fueled the growth of the programmatic industry as a whole.
The key highlights from the report are —
– Video eCPMs on mobile devices grew 7% quarter-over-quarter, proving resilient to post-holiday season drops.
– The impression volume difference between mobile web and mobile app virtually disappeared in Q1 2017, though mobile app continues to yield eCPMs 15% higher than mobile web.
– Android’s share of monetized mobile impression volume grew to 71% globally, with EMEA and APAC regions driving the majority of gains.
– In EMEA, mobile publishers saw significant growth with monetized mobile impression volume up 15% year-over-year while eCPMs rose 69% during the same period.
– Advertising volume targeting the operating system grew immensely in 2017, giving it an unprecedented market share. Apple remained the only other sizeable competitor in the category, still yielding higher eCPMs.
By analyzing the billions of digital impressions that flow through the PubMatic platform each day, PubMatic can observe real-time developments in the mobile space that allude to broader digital industry trends. The company can then compare this information to other published data to further understand changes in the mobile landscape.
Rajeev Goel, co-founder and CEO at PubMatic says, “We are at an interesting crossroads where consumers are increasingly engaging with content via mobile devices and marketers are dedicating growing portions of their ad budgets to programmatic channels.”
PubMatic is committed to providing best-in-class mobile tools and services and believes that information sharing is crucial in aligning the digital industry towards best practices and, ultimately, growth in mobile advertising.