RealNetworks, Inc., an emerging leader in AI-based software and solutions, announced its financial results* for the second quarter ended June 30, 2021.
- Revenue of $14.6 million and net loss attributable to RealNetworks of $(1.3) million
- Doubled revenue year-over-year for the Company’s AI-based businesses with 282% growth in SAFRTM and 15% growth in KONTXT
- Strengthened balance sheet to position the Company for future growth; unrestricted cash and cash equivalents of $29.9 million and no debt as of June 30, 2021
“In Q2 we continued to make great progress in our AI-based businesses, SAFR and KONTXT,” said Rob Glaser, Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer of RealNetworks. “In the aggregate, our AI businesses grew 101% year over year – 282% for SAFR and 15% for KONTXT. Further, we strengthened our balance sheet by raising $20.1 million in net proceeds through a public offering during the quarter. This enables us to continue to scale our investments in our AI growth businesses.”
Mr. Glaser continued, “We’re also very pleased with the progress that Scener is making on its path as an independent company. Scener continues to grow rapidly with consumers using it to watch over 100 million minutes of video each month. Scener is now self-sufficient financially and has a very bright future.” As a result of Scener’s progress as an independent company, Real no longer consolidated Scener into its financial results as of June 30th.
Marketing Technology News: Forrester Appoints LogMeIn Executive Chris Finn As New Chief Financial Officer
Second Quarter 2021 Financial Highlights from Continuing Operations
- Revenue was $14.6 million, down 8% compared to $15.9 million in the prior quarter and down 15% compared to $17.1 million in the prior year period.
- Revenue from key growth initiatives, SAFR and KONTXT, increased 282% and 15%, respectively, compared to the prior year period. SAFR and KONTXT together grew to represent 37% of total Mobile Services revenue for the second quarter of 2021.
- Operating expenses decreased $1.7 million, or 9%, from the prior quarter and increased $1.1 million, or 7%, from the prior year period. Normalizing for certain one-time and non-cash items including restructuring and fair value adjustments to the contingent consideration liability, operating expenses decreased $0.3 million, or 2%, compared to the prior quarter and increased $1.2 million, or 8%, from the prior year period.
- Net loss from continuing operations attributable to RealNetworks was $(1.3) million, or $(0.03) per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $(10.4) million, or $(0.27) per diluted share, in the prior quarter and a net loss of $(3.1) million, or $(0.08) per diluted share, in the prior year period. Included in net loss attributable to RealNetworks in the second quarter of 2021 was a gain on forgiveness of debt of $2.9 million from the principal and interest on the Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) loan and a gain of $2.0 million related to the deconsolidation of Scener.
- Adjusted EBITDA, including $600,000 of operating costs related to Scener, was a loss of $(4.3) million compared to a loss of $(3.0) million in the prior quarter and a loss of $(1.4) million in the prior year period. Adjusted EBITDA, excluding the $600,000 of operating costs related to Scener, was a loss of $(3.7) million.
- At June 30, 2021, the Company had $29.9 million in unrestricted cash and cash equivalents compared to $17.0 million at March 31, 2021 and $23.9 million at December 31, 2020. In April 2021, the Company strengthened its balance sheet with the closing of an underwritten public offering that resulted in net proceeds to the Company of approximately $20.1 million.
- RealNetworks received notice from its participating bank that its request for forgiveness of the principal and interest on the PPP loan was approved. As a result, the Company recognized a $2.9 million gain on forgiveness of debt on the condensed consolidated statement of operations.
- As of June 30, 2021, the Company deconsolidated Scener Inc., previously a consolidated subsidiary of RealNetworks, and recognized a non-cash gain of $2.0 million in other income (expense), net on the condensed consolidated statement of operations.
- During the second quarter of 2021, the Company settled the contingent consideration liability for its January 2019 purchase of Napster through the use of $2.5 million of cash and the transfer of 47.8 million ordinary shares of Napster Group, valued at the December 2020 Napster sale closing date.
For the third quarter ending September 30, 2021, RealNetworks expects to achieve the following results from continuing operations:
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $13.5 million to $15.5 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA loss is expected to be in the range of $(5.0) million to $(3.5) million, excluding Scener (which has been deconsolidated as of June 30, 2021).
RealNetworks’ management continues to expect 2021 will be an investment year that will position the Company for double-digit revenue growth in 2022 and 2023.
Marketing Technology News: Black Dragon Capital(SM) Congratulates Ryff on Recent Successful $11.7M Fundraise