8th Wall announced the launch of 8th Wall Web, the world’s first augmented reality (AR) solution of its kind for mobile web browsers. With 8th Wall Web, interactive AR content that could previously only be experienced by downloading an app can now run directly on any existing website. 8th Wall Web makes all augmented reality features immediately accessible by most smartphones with a camera and web browser.
Until now, browser-based AR experiences required the use and recognition of visual cues or image markers, like QR codes, in a user’s physical environment. 8th Wall Web allows brands, for the first time, to offer seamless interactive AR experiences on their websites without the use of image markers or requiring the user to download an app. With 8th Wall Web, industries including ecommerce, advertising, gaming and entertainment can now reach billions of people within their existing mobile web browsers.
8th Wall Web features include:
- 6DoF Positional Tracking: Allows the user to explore their space and interact with AR content using only their smartphone camera.
- Surface Detection: Allows detection of the ground or other flat surfaces such as tables for precise virtual object placement.
- World Points: Points in the world can be detected and used by an AR experience for visualization.
- Hit Tests: Enables interaction with points and detected surfaces in a scene.
- Lighting Estimation: Lighting levels in the user’s real world can be used to match lighting in an AR scene.
“AR transforms the way people can use the web, whether it’s taking a closer look at a product on an ecommerce site, interacting with immersive branded content or being guided through a recipe with AR in the comfort of your own kitchen,” said Erik Murphy-Chutorian, founder and CEO at 8th Wall. “However, app installation is currently a major barrier to AR mobile adoption; 87% of smartphone users in the U.S. download no more than one app in a given month. 8th Wall Web extends the reach and impact of developers’ AR features and creates a tremendous opportunity for them to reach customers on a scale that would not otherwise be possible.”
“As augmented reality technology evolves, developers need new intuitive and efficient ways to keep up with users’ needs and expand reach,” said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst, IDC. “8th Wall Web will help industries, including ecommerce, advertising, gaming and entertainment reach a larger addressable market of more than 3 billion users within their mobile web browsers. Tools like 8th Wall Web are essential for the continued proliferation of strong AR experiences.”
Recommended Read: MarTech RADAR 2018: Top 150 B2B Technology Companies You Should Follow