Teespring, the platform which allows independent sellers to design and sell their own creations, and YouTube, will expand the ability for eligible creators in France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom to sell merchandise on their channels. This follows the announcement at Vidcon 2018 in June, that merchandise with Teespring is available to US-based monetized creators with 10,000+ subscribers.
This feature enables eligible creators to sell merchandise to their fans and is directly integrated into the user experience on their channel. This partnership has been developed to provide a seamless point of sale for YouTube creators’ communities, which is simple to add to video pages on their YouTube channels. The merch shelf feature on YouTube works across both mobile and desktop video viewing, allowing shoppers to browse without ever leaving the page. The shelf is updated with new products, including t-shirts, tote bags, phone cases and more, shortly after they are created on the Teespring website by participating YouTube creators.
Sarah Clatterbuck, Director of YouTube Alternative Monetisation Engineering, said: “We’re excited to make the merch shelf available to more creators and fans. This is one part of our larger effort to diversify revenue streams for creators, making content creation on YouTube a sustainable business opportunity. ”
Chris Lamontagne, VP Commercial at Teespring, adds: “At Teespring, we have been delighted with the success of the Merch Shelf in the US, and the natural next step was to roll out the feature in the EU as soon as we could. This expansion gives European creators a platform on which they will make more money from their merchandise than they would from similar competitors. Traffic on the Merch Shelf is also set to take over traffic from the standard description links on YouTube, as it has in the US. These early successes encourage us to continue to empower and support even more YouTubers around the globe.”
New YouTube stats:
- 64% of 18-24 year olds watch YouTube at least once a day, and majority use it to once a week to learn something (66%), watch a tv show (59%), watch a music video (65%), or a vlogger (54%)
- 21 of the world’s top 250 youtube creators are based in the UK
- Global watchtime of YouTube on TV screens is over 180m hours per day. Overall, watchtime on TVs is in the EU is up by more than 45% YoY.
- The number of EU channels with more than +1m subs is up over 70% YoY.
- The number of EU YouTube channels making six figures or more in revenue is up over 35 percent over last year.
- Watch time for the ad supported YTO “Training Days” is equivalent to ~150 years. And approximately 35% its viewership comes from outside the UK.
Existing stats for context:
- Importance of viewability and audibility as it leads to higher brand awareness, higher ad recall and higher consideration. Globally, average YouTube video ad viewability is 95%, while across the rest of the web and apps it’s 66%.
- YouTube is a vibrant community of 1.9B users who are making a change in the world.
- Over 400 hours of video are uploaded on YouTube every minute.
- 70% of watchtime happen on mobile devices.
Vertical ads: Vertical video ads expand the mobile ad canvas by lengthening the video player window when a device is held vertically. Advertisers can easily repurpose their square and vertical videos or test new creative variations in this format. Hyundai tested YouTube vertical video ads and saw a 33% lift in brand awareness and a 12% lift in consideration.
Bumper ads leaderboard
YouTube’s annual Bumper ads leaderboard ranks the best six-second spots of the year.
|Number||Brand||Video||Creative agency||Media agency|
|1||The Laughing Cow UK||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2aHbRJlC8||Karmarama Comms Ltd||OMD|
|2||Doritos UK||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEtt48DPBg||AMV BBDO||OMD|
|3||Asda||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvbvhImZTsY||Saatchi & Saatchi||Blue 449 of Publicis|
|4||M&M uk||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd7zjUGOXbo||AMV BBDO||Zenith / Mediacom|
|5||Sanex||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhpLbejjOcQ||Contrapunto BBDO (Barcelona)||Wavemaker UK|
|6||Domino’s Pizza UK & ROI||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFeWEH-7PA||VCCP||In-house|
|7||Walkers Sensations||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWYcROBGj4||AMV BBDO||OMD|
|9||Whiskas UK||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIaH5LlggLQ||AMV BBDO||Zenith / Mediacom|
Recommended Read: Baxter Denney Joins Red Points as Chief Marketing Officer