Pixalate’s Q3 2022 Delisted Connected TV (CTV) Apps Report: Roku Purges 1,636 CTV Apps, 4.5X More than Q2; Estimated $3MM in Programmatic Ad Spend on Delisted Apps
97% of delisted CTV apps for Q3 were from the Roku store (1,636), while Amazon Fire TV delisted 3% (49).
Pixalate, the market-leading fraud protection, privacy, and compliance analytics platform for Connected TV (CTV) and Mobile Advertising, today released the Q3 2022 Delisted CTV Apps Report, containing insights about CTV apps removed from the Roku and Amazon apps stores. The analysis helps developers and advertisers recognize potential threats of privacy and compliance breaches.
Pixalate analyzed more than 45k CTV apps across the Roku and Amazon Fire TV app stores and found that nearly 1.6k were delisted in Q3 2022 — an increase of 452% compared to the 339 delisted in Q2 2022. Amazon Fire TV delisted 49 apps, a 14% increase since last quarter. These delisted apps comprise 4% of all active CTV apps across both stores.
Marketing Technology News: MarTech Interview with Lindsay (Boyajian) Hagan, VP – Marketing at Conductor
Through analysis of delisted Roku and Amazon Fire TV apps in Q3 2022, Pixalate found:
- 1.6k+ delisted apps (+397%) across Roku (1.6k) and Amazon Fire TV (49) in Q3 2022. That is 4% of all active CTV apps across both stores.
- 452% increase on Roku apps delisted from Q2 to Q3 2022, and 14% increase of Amazon Fire TV apps delisted.
- 10% of delisted apps had programmatic advertising detected in Q3 2022. Roku Active CTV apps had 100 times more ad spend than delisted apps in Q3.
- Estimated $3MM in programmatic ad spend on delisted CTV apps in Q3 2022, according to Pixalate.
- 59%+ of delisted apps on Roku were abandoned (2+ yrs. no update) vs. 39% on Fire TV in Q3 2022.
- 75% of delisted apps had no identifiable country of registry in Q3 2022, while only 20% were registered in the U.S.
Delisted apps may pose a privacy and security risk to consumers as they can remain installed on the user’s device, and the user may not know they need to delete the app under such circumstances.
What’s inside the report
Pixalate’s Q3 2022 Delisted CTV Report includes:
- The scale of delisted apps dating back to Q1 2021
- Share and overall ad spend of delisted apps running programmatic ads
- Delisted apps broken down by how long since the app had last been updated
- Country of origin of delisted apps
- Delisted apps by app category
- List of the most popular delisted apps
Marketing Technology News: Solving First-Party Audience Expansion Using AI